Corporate Environmental Policy
Knight has a long-standing practice of providing a safe and healthful work place, protecting the environment, and conserving energy and natural resources. Our practices have served the environment and our business well over the years and provide the foundation for our corporate objectives.
In addition to complying with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, Knight has implemented the following environmental initiatives to help minimize our impact on the environment and achieve our environmental objectives:
Waste Reduction and Recycling
- Conserve natural resources by reducing, reusing and recycling materials, purchasing recycled materials, and using recyclable packaging and other materials where possible.
- Educate employees to be accountable for environmental stewardship and encourage them to seek innovative ways to improve the environmental aspects of our operations.
- Maintain open channels of communication with our customers, employees, government agencies, public officials, the media and the public to meet their information needs in regard to energy and environmental issues.
- Exchange excess components, materials, and equipment of all types. This initiative provides resources for the scrapping of any item, when necessary, in an environmentally sound manner.
Hazardous Materials Management
- Ensure the safe and proper management of hazardous materials and waste, including their handling, disposal, storage and shipment, as well as ensuring compliance with company and legal requirements pertaining to the management of hazardous waste.
- Is an environmentally responsible neighbour in the communities where we operate, and acts promptly and responsibly to correct incidents or conditions that endanger health, safety or the environment. Reports them to authorities promptly and informs affected parties as appropriate.
- Provide a safe and healthful workplace and ensure that personnel are properly trained and have appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
- Market products that are safe for their intended use, efficient in their use of energy, protective of the environment, and that can be reused, recycled or disposed of safely.
- Ensure the responsible use of energy throughout our business, including conserving energy, improving energy efficiency, and giving preference to renewable over non-renewable energy sources when feasible.
- Provide employees with the information, resources and incentives to help them choose an alternative method of commuting to Knight.